Castle Park House and Gardens in Frodsham is an attractive historic park with nine hectares of Green Flag awarded grounds offering a mixture of formal gardens, wide open lawns, intriguing wooded areas and recreational leisure facilities.
It has a lovely big open park with bowling green, tennis courts and parks for the children. Some play equipment, small shop for ice creams and coffee, larger cafe for hot food and cakes. Car park can get full very quickly. Lots of squirrels and birds.
Also home to the Castle Park Arts Centre.
A Brief History
Castle Park was a private garden which was donated to the town of Frodsharn in 1933. It has been used as a public park ever since. The park covers 6.5 hectares.
The house and grounds were originally laid out in 1855. In 1933 the site was donated to the people of Frodsham.
In 1851 it was bought by Joseph Stubs of Warrington, a manufacturer of engineers' tools. He commissioned Edward Kemp to lay out the woods and gardens. Its style is "reserved Italianate". Stubs did not live to see the work completed as he died,in 1861. It was bought by auction by Edward Abbott Wright, a Quaker cotton manufacturer from Oldham. The house then came to be known as Castle Park. The Wrights had five children, a boy who died at the age of 14, and four girls. Edward's wife died in 1868 and Edward continued to live in the house until he died at the age of 83 in 1891. Following this, Edward's two unmarried daughters, Harriet and Emily continued to live in the house until the last remaining daughter, Harriet died in 1931.
Upcoming events in the Park [Full List]